Among a lot of essential functions of blogging, the 301 redirects are very common and important. We may need to redirect blogger old URL to new for many purposes. If we don’t use this 301 permanent redirection, we will lose backlinks and search engines rank for that specific URL. In this post, I will show you how you can redirect Blogger old URL to new.
Blogger is very flexible for blogging because of its useful features. Many professional bloggers use this free blogging platform for running their blogs. You can do every major task of blogging very quickly in blogger if you just know the perfect way to do that.
We use 301 redirects for reducing our blog’s 404 errors. 404 not found errors are completely natural for a blog because It could be generated in many ways. If you remove an old content from your blog then a 404 not found error will be generated.
If you update an old content of your blog and change that Blogger post URL or permalink then a 404 not found error could be generated. Some live external links of your blog could be dead any time which could cause 404 error.
As a blogger, you should always try to keep your blog error free. These 404 errors and broken links could harm your user experience. So it is mandatory to learn how to redirect blogger old URLs to new, how to redirect blogger broken links and how to make your blog healthy for both SEO and USERS! Let’s learn a little more about:
Why Should We Redirect Blogger URLs?
- According to me the main reason to redirect blogger URLs for reducing 404 errors of our site. As I have told you that overflow of 404 errors of your site is very dangerous for your visitors.
- 404 errors are not a significant issue for Google, but this will harm your site’s user experience. Nobody likes to land on a not found page.
- This is not a major issue for SEO but if your blog contains a huge number of 404 error page, your visitors will not like your blog. So you can not expect to return visitors for your blog.
- The page you are going to remove or already have removed from your blog could have some backlinks and organic traffic. If you don’t redirect that URL, you will lose everything.
- Another important thing is “Link juice”. A large number of 404 errors will prevent your blog to pass the link juice.
I think this is very clear to us that why you should redirect blogger old URL to new URL. But now we have another question. What kind of redirection should we use to redirect blogger URLs? Because, there are different types of redirection available out there. So let’s take a look at this issue:
What Kind Of Redirects Should We Use?
301 redirects will tell search engine’s crawler that the web page is permanently moved to the new location. But the 302 redirects tells search engine’s crawler that the web page is temporarily moved and could come back again. So if you have moved any pages, post or any other content permanently from your blog, then this is best to use 301 redirects.
The 301 redirects will send all of your backlinks and visitors from the old URL to new URL. In this way, you will not lose anything, either visitor or backlinks. This 301 redirect is also recommended for SEO purpose and this redirects is totally safe for work.
On the other hand, people use 302 redirects for maintenance purpose of their blog which tells search engine’s crawler that the site will become live on the same URL very soon. Another thing is that, If you wish to migrate to another blogging platform, or you wish to redirect your complete blog to another domain, in that case, you should use 302 redirects.
Redirect Blogger Old URL To New URL (301)
Sometimes it becomes very important for using 301 redirects in our blogger blog. Even the blogger’s default auto-generated URL for post and pages may not be meaningful, well structured and search engine friendly URLs all the time. Let me show you an example:
- Ugly URL: http://blogornate.blogspot.com/p/about-5_bc.html
- Pretty URL: http://blogornate.blogspot.com/p/about.html
If blogger generates this kind of ugly URLs for your blog’s about page or any other post or page which you did not notice before, then you must set 301 redirects for safely bringing your old page to the pretty URL.
For avoiding this kind of auto-generated ugly URLs by blogger, here is a guide to learn how to change blogger post URL or Permalink before and after publishing the post or page. Now let’s see the procedure of redirecting old blogger URL to new:
1. First of all login to your blogger account and go to the “Settings” section.
2. From there click on the “Search Preference” link.
3. Now find the “Errors and redirections” section. Here you will find two options. One is “Custom Page Not Found” and another is “Custom Redirects”.
4. Click on the “EDIT” link of “Custom Redirects”.
5. Here you will see two boxes. One is FROM, and another is TO. Put your old blogger URL (excluding the primary domain) into “from” box and new URL into the “to” box. Now check the “Permanent” box for establishing 301 redirections.
6. Now click on the blue “Save” link. After that click on the orange “Save Changes” button. Is everything fine? Click on the “Save Changes” button and you are done.
You have successfully redirected your old blogger URL to new URL.
- Paste URL into these boxes by excluding your primary domain like: “/p/about.html” for page redirection and “/2016/05/change-blogger-post-url-permalink.html” for post redirection.
- Don’t forget to check the permanent box for establishing 301 redirects.
Important: You can not redirect your blogger post or pages to any external URL through this way. If you wish to redirect your complete blogger blog to another domain or a single post to another external URL, then take a look at this guide: Redirect Blogger Blog And Traffic To Another Website.
Hope you have understood some major blogger redirect factors from the above discussion. If you like this article, then please share it. Don’t forget to give your feedback in the comment section.